Member made, member led.
The Ohio Nurses Association is truly a member-driven association. Led by the Board of Directors and supported by several councils and committees, ONA relies on our membership to light the way. All councils and committees are staffed by ONA but piloted by ONA nurses.
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors of the Ohio Nurses Association consists of 15 members: the officers of the association and 10 directors that are members of ONA, at least 5 of which meet the criteria for appointment to the Economic and General Welfare Commission.
President – Deborah Arms, PhD, RN
1st Vice President – Carol Roe, RN, MSN, JD
2nd Vice President – Jacinta Tucker, MSN, RN
Secretary – Joyce Powell, RN, BSN, CEN
Treasurer – Annie Bowen, MSN, RN, CPN
Jessica Frymyer, RN, BSN, CNOR
Iris Marcentile, BSN, RN, CPAN
Amber Miranda, RN
Michelle Thoman, RN
Robert Weitzel, RN, BSN, Cincinnati
Paula Anderson, RN
Jamie Burchett, BSN, RN
Benitha Garrett, MSN, BSN, RN
Gina Severino, DNP, RN, ACNS-BC
Holly Renninger, RN, BSN
Lisa Ochs, CEO
Economic and General Welfare Commission
The Commission oversees the Economic and General Welfare Program of ONA. The commissioners must be collective bargaining members and are responsible for the following, among other duties:
- Developing economic and employment standards and policies.
- Establishing procedures for economic and welfare complaints.
- Providing information and counseling regarding employment conditions.
- Evaluating and revising the Economic and General Welfare Program and policies.
The official description of the Commission and its duties are found in the ONA bylaws.
Jessica Frymyer, RN, BSN, CNOR (Chair)
Robert Weitzel, RN, BSN (Co-Chair)
Ashlee Ash, RN
Rick Lucas, RN, BSN
Iris Marcentile, RN, BSN, CPAN
Barbara McGhee, RN, BSN, CNOR
Michelle Thoman, RN
Alex Watts, RN, BSN
Committees, Councils & More
Are you a member interested in getting involved? Read on to learn more about ONA’s volunteer-driven committees and councils.
To volunteer, visit the Volunteer Match module within ONAConnect.
Health Policy Council
Members of the Health Policy Council serve two years and are deeply involved in both our legislative and political activities. Specifically, the Council does the following, among other duties:
- Evaluate proposed federal, state and local legislation for its implication for nurses, nursing and health care and make recommendations to the Board of Directors.
- Advise the Board of Directors, structural units and districts on legislative and political issues.
- Promote appointment of qualified nurses to key leadership positions in government, industry, state and health related foundations and consumer organizations.
- Implement the political endorsement process.
HPC Members 2020
Yvonne Smith, Chair, Canton
Sara Burke, Hamilton
Kelly Duffey, Bellville
Peggy Halter, Akron
Rick Lucas, New Lexington
Shelly Malberti, Euclid
Jeri Milstead, Dublin
Teresa Monnin, Springboro
Genevieve Richard, Columbus
Gina Severino, Canfield
Carol Smith, Youngstown
Jacinta Tucker, Midvale
Linda Warino, Canfield
Robert Weitzel, Harrison
Teresa Wood, Pickerington
Peggy Berry, Centerville
Tiffany Mattingly, Mason
The CEC consists of member who meet the most current accreditation and approval criteria and rules for peer reviewers. The CEC shall, among other duties,:
- Study and evaluate matters relating to continuing education and recommend appropriate action.
- Oversee the approval process for individual continuing education activities and providers of continuing education.
- Identify the need for state legislation in the field of continuing education.
The official description of the CEC and its duties are found in the ONA bylaws.
Members of the CEC
Barb Brunt, Chair, Akron
Tahnee Andrew, Rutland
Lucinda Cave, Cleveland
Stephanie Clubbs, Canton
Susan Copeland, Gahanna
Beth Griebel, Columbus
Amy Knupp, Columbus
Melanie Morris, Akron
Diane Moyer, Worthington
Lauren Rafeld, Ashland
Gail Rhodes, Hilliard
Deb Shields, Bremen
Sue Smith, Dayton
Pam Dickerson, Liaison for ANCC
Matt Howard, Indiana Liaison, Indianapolis, IN
Council on Practice
The Council on Practice consists of members with a mixture of clinical backgrounds. The COP is tasked with, among other duties,:
- Interpreting professional standards of practice within the state and devising means for putting these into effect.
- Assisting nurses in implementing the ANA Code of Ethics.
- Working with groups on issues related to nursing practice.
- Receiving and taking action upon complaints and problems of nursing practice.
The official description of the Council on Practice and its duties are found in the ONA bylaws.
Members of the Council on Practice
Paula Anderson, Westerville
Kristine Cope, Columbus
Benitha Garrett, North Olmsted
Sharon Hawkins, Englewood
Laurie Hornberger, North Jackson
Kenneth Quick, Newark
Holly Renninger, Uniontown
Debbie Schwytzer, Cincinnati
Ohio Nurses Review Committee
The ONR Committee sets the direction and editorial content of ONA’s official publication, the Ohio Nurses Review. Members meet every other month to collaborate on content and also write article to be published in the magazine. If you love to write, this committee is for you!